Senior Accountant – Payable
|Location||Morogoro, Tanzania, United Republic of|
|Date Posted||February 15, 2023|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Senior Accountant Position Description
UBONGO is Africa's leading producer of kids' edutainment. As a non-profit social enterprise, we create fun, localized, and multi-platform educational content that helps kids learn, and leverage their learning to change their lives. Ubongo reaches over 27 million kids across Africa through accessible technologies like TV, radio, and mobile phones. Our show’s Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me currently air in 23 countries across Africa, in Swahili, English, French, Kinyarwanda, Kikuyu, Luo, Yoruba, Hausa, Chichewa, and Juba Arabic.
Job Position: We are looking for a Senior Accountant - Cash, Disbursements and Expenses. Working at Ubongo won’t be easy, but it will challenge and excite you with lots of responsibilities, plenty of fun, and give you the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of kids every day.
We’re looking for a highly qualified, energetic and collaborative individual to join the Finance team. The Senior Accountant will be responsible for all Ubongo disbursements including payroll, expense management, cash management, and banking relationships across three legal entities - Ubongo International (U.S. 501c3), Ubongo Learning (Tanzanian NGO), and Ubongo South Africa (South African Public Benefit Organization). The Senior Accountant reports to the Finance Director and manages one Junior Accountant. The ideal candidate will be passionate about Ubongo’s mission, and well qualified in accounting.
- Manage accounts payable.
- Prepare monthly payroll, ensuring appropriate withholdings for tax and benefits.
- Manage cash across the three entities, including petty cash, intercompany transfers and banking relationships.
- Ensure sound internal controls, and timely and accurate transaction processing.
- Prepare monthly Debit/Credit card and bank reconciliations.
- Monitor expenses against approved budgets, participate in preparation of grant report
- Develop written procedures for relevant processes, and provide regular training to Ubongo staff.
- Provide support to the Head of Operations, South Africa and Remote.
- Manage the performance of Junior Accountant, and provide opportunities for professional development.
- Responsible for Audit of Accounts payable across three entities
- Preparation of monthly management reports, participate in preparation of Budgets and forecasts
REQUIREMENTS: KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE and QUALIFICATIONS
- 5+ years experience in accounting.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to use MS Excel, Google Sheets and other applications to analyze data,
- Previous experience on Accounting systems such as Xero, Quickbooks, Sage, MS Dynamics NAV etc.
- Collaborative team player.
- Has a record of trustworthiness and discretion
- Strong communicator.
- Passionate about Ubongo’s mission.
- Previous experience in payroll and accounts payable.
- Previous management experience.
Phew! You made it through that. The good thing is that there are also perks, like a delicious healthy lunch at the office, health insurance, pension payments of up to 10% (matching the value of your individual contributions), 28 working days paid annual leave (in addition to the public holidays) and you get to watch cartoons at work.