|Location||Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, United Republic of|
|Date Posted||October 23, 2021|
|Category|| Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Aceli Africa is a market-enabling facility with the aim of mobilizing over $600M in private sector lending for agricultural SMEs in Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda by 2025. To achieve this goal, Aceli Africa addresses constraints on both the capital supply and demand sides of the market. On the capital supply side, Aceli provides financial incentives and capacity building to increase the risk appetite of 25+ commercial banks and impact investors to make loans ranging from USD $25K-$1.5M to agricultural SMEs. On the capital demand side, Aceli facilitates technical assistance to expand the ability of high-potential SMEs to qualify for and manage financing. In collaboration with data and learning partners, Aceli is
building the evidence base to demonstrate a market-based approach for inclusive agricultural
Since launching in September 2020, Aceli has supported its financial institution partners in making 200+ loans to SMEs creating market linkages for over 240,000 smallholder farmers. Leading bilateral and philanthropic donors, including IKEA Foundation, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, and USAID, have committed $32 million to Aceli Africa and additional funding, including an anchor investment specifically targeting Tanzania, is on track for year-end. Aceli is an initiative of the Global Development Incubator (GDI), a nonprofit incubator of social impact initiatives based in the United States with an affiliated entity based in Kenya.
The role holder will be a core member of Aceli Africa’s dynamic and growing team and will be responsible for supporting all program activities in Tanzania. The incumbent must have experience in project management, donor reporting, and stakeholder engagement in the fields of agricultural development and/or financial inclusion. The role will report to the Country Representative for Tanzania and coordinate extensively with Aceli team members in Kenya and the United States. The position will be contracted as a full-time consultancy by GDI, Inc., a nonprofit organization registered in the U.S.
- Support outreach to and relationship management with current and prospective lending partners for Aceli’s financial incentives programme and lender capacity building;
- Recruit, screen, register, and manage participation of agricultural SMEs in Aceli’s technical assistance programme;
- Coordinate with Aceli learning partners to set up and implement impact studies, including site visits and surveys, with SMEs and their affiliated farmers and employees;
- Support stakeholder engagement and project management related to innovation and policy;
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of program activities to Aceli’s donors;
- Provide key inputs and coordinate with GDI finance & operations team to meet donors’ financial reporting requirements;
- Take initiative to identify and implement other key priorities in close coordination with the Country Representative for TZ and Aceli colleagues in Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, and the U.S.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in International Development, Agriculture, Finance, or related field;
- Minimum of 7 years professional experience;
- Demonstrated experience managing strategic relationships with financial institutions, agricultural development organizations, and international donors;
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to present information, both in writing and verbally, in a structured and insightful manner
- Go-getter who takes initiative and is able to work independently and collaboratively with a multi-country team in a rapidly evolving environment;
- Professional with a demonstrated record of the highest integrity and ethical conduct; and
- Passion for applying financial and business acumen to have a positive impact on farmer livelihoods, food security, opportunities for women and youth, and climate resilience in Tanzania.
Global Development Incubator is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Tanzanian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you believe you meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your detailed CV along with a cover letter stating your interest in and qualifications for the position, e-mail address and telephone contacts.